Law, Regulations and EIA: Laos
Article 1: Objectives
This Decree has the following objectives:
- To disseminate and implement Article 8 of Law Environmental Protection, in relation to Environmental Impact Assessment;
- To lay down principles and rules, and adopt measures on establishment, functions, management and monitoring (of the concerned agencies in) environmental impact assessment;
- To ensures that all investment projects of the State and private sector, both domestic and foreign, operating in Lao PDR (hereafter called ‘investment projects’) which create or will create adverse environmental and social impacts, are designed with the right and appropriate environmental and social impact prevention and mitigation measures or environmental management and monitoring plans (EMMP) and social management and monitoring plans (SMMP);
- To effectively prevent, minimise and resolve adverse environmental and social impacts derived from investment projects;
- To contribute to the national socio-economic development, to make it sustainable.